Benchmarking the Impact of Workspace Design on Innovation and Collaboration
Following a number of mergers, US engineering and design company AECOM looked to rationalize its real estate portfolio and to design and implement new office space for its new Greater London campus. This involved the move to agile working and with this, the re-think of how people would work both together and independently and how best to use space to foster creativity and well-being while retaining performance.
AECOM measured the change’s impact by deploying a suite of tools, including assessment, both pre- and post-move and then comparing the results. The change was worth tracking:
- Increased creativity in terms of number and diversity of ideas.
- Three-fold increase in the value of cross-disciplinary proposals.
- Rent costs decreased due to reduction in required space.
- Highest utilization of workspace of all AECOM UK offices.
- 26% drop in staff turnover in central London.
Feedback from staff and clients was very positive and those who worked in the new agile work environment showed changes to their work style and motivation. Staff reported feeling:
- More collaborative.
- More able to adopt a long-term perspective.
- A greater sense of autonomy and control.
- Less constrained by rules and procedures.
About the AuthorFollow on Linkedin Visit Website More Content by Aon's Assessment Solutions